Supporting

Tuesday 19 April 2011

Where does reflective practice end and navel gazing begin?

Not that I'm trying to start a fight or anything...

I studied reflective practice last year for a qualification I'm currently doing and for about 4 months the nicest thing I could say about it was that it was probably harmless. On a less charitable day I thought it was phonus balonus balloon juice of the worst kind and a total waste of time.

And then gradually I realised I was making notes and observations on how well teaching sessions went. And using my mobile to keep a record of work things that went well. And without meaning to I was systematically reflecting.

I use the '3 whats' system by Rolfe which is basically a) What? b) So what? c) Now what?

It works for me. Partly because it's so simple I can always remember it.

So feel free to put me right but as I understand it - navel gazing is where you brood and change nothing and reflection is where you record, analyse and then act.

We've got loads of reflective practice books both on the shelves and in e-versions so you should be able to find something useful now or in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment