Supporting

Wednesday 27 March 2013

When is a word not a word?

When Google says so. That's when.

Okay. I'll explain. Late last night I heard about a disagreement that had occurred between Google and the Swedish Language Council (SLC) and the connotations of it made my head hurt.

The story goes like this. The SLC is the body who officially decide whether a new word is added to the Swedish lexicon. They recently gave their seal of approval to the word ogooglebar which means something that cannot be found by a search engine; literally, 'ungoogleable'.
So far, so uninteresting.
But then Google got sniffy and told the SLC that they wouldn't recognise the word in their searches. The reason they gave is that didn't want Google to be a byword for all searching. However, Google hasn't had a problem since 2001 with people saying 'Googling' instead of searching, which has led to the suspicion that Google doesn't like the actual idea behind ungoogleable. It would be like the vacuum cleaner manufacturer Hoover suddenly getting uppity about the term hoovering and insisting we say vacuuming instead.

At the time of writing this the SLC has refused to change the meaning and instead have withdrawn it from their proposed list of newly recognised words. So where does this story go next? Frankly who knows, (incidentally, the Guardian covered it like this) but it has to be a worrying development in language and search technology when the search engines think they can control things to this extent.

One more thing on the nature of ungoogleable itself. I've seen a lot of dissertation students recently and most of those sessions have gone fine.
However...

Occasionally a student will meet with me and when I ask the topic they've chosen the answer will be, 'I really want to look at the issue of social exclusion in nomadic goat herders, but I only want UK research published in the last 4 hours and the authors all have to be called Kevin'. At this point ungoogleable as a word is the least of my problems, because I can already tell that this will be impossible. But how can you tell if the research doesn't exist or if it's your research skills that aren't cutting it? Or put another way, how do you spot the absence of something?

The simplest solution is if after trying various combinations of words and phrases you still aren't having any luck then contact me. I may be able to suggest something. Just don't expect me to suddenly find loads of peer reviewed, UK based research on nomadic goat herders with exclusion issues. Well not written by a Kevin anyway.

My next blog will be in about a week when I'll be getting some old friends from university to tell you how useless I was at all things technological. They're somewhat excited at the prospect.

Hope you have a great Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment