Supporting

Tuesday 2 December 2014

Kate Tempest, subjectivity and truth and the need for more rap on this blog

As part of my critical thinking lecture I like to have a debate with you on what counts as truth or fact.
One of the reasons this is fun is because it's never the same twice. I can never tell which bit is going to rile people and which bit is going to go unchallenged. This week it was about whether countries (specifically Spain!) exist in any 'factual' sense. The idea that countries change borders, languages and populations to me suggests that countries are as transient as individual lives. Borders are often arbitrarily drawn up by third parties, as in the case of India and Pakistan. 

Anyway. In other news, I've been listening to the Kate Tempest LP a lot these past weeks (she should have won the Mercury prize this year...) and it's currently my 5th favourite LP of the year. These things matter. 



There's a track on it called The Truth which features these lines: 

"Whose truth even counts?

Is it the person who doubts

What a person proclaims they're about?

Whose version is perfect?


Is there a truth that exists

Outside of perception?

This is the question".

I love that. Clearly, I need to include more lyrics to illustrate my points. 
Expect a Coldplay song at some point in the future to illustrate how we're all doomed...

One final thing; it's also a bit sweary at one point so don't play if you're likely to be offended.

Alan






2 comments:

  1. A point worth thinking about. On the subject of Coldplay, can always use the "I will fix you" lyric to explore the dichotomy of the deficit-based and strength-based models

    ReplyDelete
  2. That'll be the first ever evocation of a Coldplay lyric on this blog!

    ReplyDelete