Supporting

Thursday 22 January 2015

My Dad

Three days ago my Dad died.

He was a major force in my educational history, so I'm going to share a few things with you concerning how he inspired me.


He believed passionately in lifelong learning. When his eyesight failed him, he read audio books and when his hearing failed him he read audio books AT HIGH VOLUME. He never stopped taking in new knowledge.

When I told him I was considering applying for university at the age of 27 he said, "about bloody time!" He could have said 'play safe and keep your job', but he didn't.

He also believed that nothing's worth doing if it's easy. When I was at uni this phrase drove me nuts. WHY COULDN'T IT BE EASY??? He'd shrug and say, 'because then anyone could do it'.

I hope you have someone who encourages, provokes, inspires or supports you. I'll be back at uni next week so if you want a lend of any of my Dad's words of encouragement you've only to ask.

I know he'd have liked that.

5 comments:

  1. He looks a very sympathetic man in the photo. I'd like to offer my condolences. Encouragement from a parent is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. He was always supportive in whatever I was doing.

      Delete
  2. Great blog post! My condolences and hope you and the family are bearing up okay. Catch up with you soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiring advice from your dad and a great blog post from you. Take care, Look forward to catching up soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss Alan. Have shared your post with my students through @SportLibRachel. Take care.

    ReplyDelete