Supporting

Thursday 23 February 2012

Thomas's impressions of a university library.

You'll need to forgive me this one as this is a very self-indulgent post. I promise the next message will be all about academic gubbins.

Thomas, my 10 year-old, was asked to write a piece for his creative writing lesson at school and he decided to imagine what the atmosphere is like within the library at UoB. Below is his piece...

As I enter the university, noises collapse upon me, like a stack of bricks unbalanced. People hurrying to lessons and lectures like little mites in a mound. Left, right and centre coffee shops stand, people nattering away to friends without a care in the world.

Complex works of incredible humane art, showing just how small we are in the size of the weird and wonderful world we live in. Lecturers babbling pointlessly away on subjects with and without meaning.

The endless libraries with countless pages being turned create a tuneless orchestra of infinite sound. From within offices there is the sound of fingers tip-tapping on keyboards, not unlike the sound created when a hamster nibbles on a sunflower seed.

Countless pens scribbling on paper, shaping their lives with ink. This is a place of infinite possibility.


I hope you liked that. I think I prefer his idealised version of the library to reality. And any lecturers reading this - I have never suggested to him that there's any babbling going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment