Supporting

Monday 7 April 2014

New programme on the sociologist Weber

Any long term reader of this blog will know that I consider Radio 4 to be one of the reasons to have hope for the human race. Pretty much every week I hear something there that will entertain, inform, provoke and infuriate.

Last week was no different as I heard a show discussing the work of Max Weber, a sociologist whose books, first published over 100 years ago, are to be found in our library and who many of you will have hopefully heard being talked about in class. He's still considered one of the theorists who you really should know about as a mainstay of sociological thought.

The show in question is called In Our Time, presented by Melvyn Bragg and broadcast on a Thursday. I tend to listen to the podcast, allowing me the flexibility to listen any time. One of the things I love about the show is that you always get a sense of the life of the theorists and not just their works (I would say that the two elements are often equally crucial in understanding someone's work), which broadens the person out somewhat.

You can find the Weber episode here and if you'd like a broader look at older episodes then go here for an explore - it's an amazing archive of shows.

You can of course reference podcasts so contact me if you need help with that bit.

Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment