Supporting

Wednesday 28 April 2010

Respite care for my Dad

I've recently come back from a long weekend on the Isle of Wight with my Dad and sisters.
This was possible due to a program of respite care that my dad needs as he's the main carer for my mum, who has dementia. My dad is in his 80's, is partially blind and has emphysema. I know, I know. I've been told I'm as stubborn as he is, but that seems impossible given that his mule-like refusal to accept any help resulted in years of soldiering on without respite. This seems to me to be remarkably common and he still feels pangs of guilt at needing help.

The issue of respite care was raised in the second electoral debate last week, so I hope it continues to be an issue that is in the spotlight.

This link will take you to a systematic review of the effects of respite care on the frail elderly, published in 2009.

Here are some photos of our trip featuring a lizard, a red squirrel and my Dad and sisters.






No comments:

Post a Comment