Supporting

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Is the Internet making us dumber?

Or should that be dumberer? Sorry Couldn't help myself. Not funny, I know.

In previous teaching sessions I may have mentioned a book that has had quite a big impact on my thinking and learning in recent years. It's called The Shallows by an author called Nicholas Carr and looks at how Internet use can change our brain physiology.


It was in my mind again today because of a news story I'd seen on how kids prefer to read from screens than via paper resources. The methodology could charitably be described as shaky, but I thought I'd share it, if for no other reason than to give you the opportunity to look at its flaws. The BBC reported the study like this.


I also wanted to guide you towards the video I've posted here though. It's Nicholas Carr talking about the issues in his book, such as how the Internet fractures our attention, how Google ranks its results but also how it can improve hand/eye coordination.

I'm always keen to talk with students concerning the arguments surrounding attention, access and how you can make researching online less problematic, so contact me if you want to discuss any of these issues.


No comments:

Post a Comment