Supporting

Thursday 23 May 2013

Why I am a massive hypocrite, by Alan Wheeler

Firstly, Alan's bit
One of the bits of my job that gives me the most satisfaction is when enthusiastic but technophobic first years leave three years later as confident, research-savvy and informed third years. If I play a small part in that transformation then I'm happy. You can't be any good at research now without at least some idea of how to use IT. Luckily for me I finished my undergraduate degree in '98, just on the cusp of when the Web became indispensable. Otherwise I would have really struggled.
Me, Eve and Alex at university

You might misconstrue this as false modesty so I've asked two friends from university to tell you in their own words exactly how bad I was at this stuff. Neither of them can frankly believe that what I do now is help other people with this stuff...


Eve's bit
What are are my memories of Alan, during the time I spent with him studying at university?
Alan was a bit 'rubbish' with technology. I'm not sure he ever successfully turned on a PC in all the time I was at uni with him. Yes, he may have sat down and tried to use one which was already booted up and ready to go. But if I'm honest, that's when the fun really started.
He had to ask how to open a document, create a new one or save one. 
I once received an email from Alan...once...and granted it began 'To Alex..." but you get the gist.
Everyone struggles from something at uni...even Alan! 

Alex's bit
You may have heard the term 'early adopter'? When we were at uni, Alan was whatever the opposite of an early adopter is. He wasn't a luddite , he wasn't resistant to change at all, it was more that when it came to IT he just let it flow round him, sweeping others along, while he stayed where he was. I know when it came to his final dissertation he managed to convince some very generous soul to type everything for him. 

I think by this point though, he had maybe seen that his days as an IT refusenik were numbered. While it lasted though, it was a sight to behold. I don't think think anyone who ever saw it will ever forget the vision of Alan lying on the floor of his room, pages of handwritten work strewn around him, literally "cutting and pasting" work.

Alan's bit again
So there you are. 
I was spectacularly rubbish at all the computery stuff and now on a good day I'm passable. 
And that's simply my message today. 
Don't give up, because the frustration is worth it in the end.






No comments:

Post a Comment