Supporting

Thursday 16 June 2011

What would happen if the Web was turned off?

I've been brooding about the future again.

The Internet is now the longest continually running machine ever built. It's been going since 1991 without a break, although I suppose it's only been considered a big thing for about 10 years. So the question I'm asking is - what would happen if The Web was turned off for any reason?

I'm not trying to freak you out or anything (well, maybe a little bit) but I've been reading stuff recently about cyber-attacks, machines which only talk to other machines,   and how weird things are generally.

I'll explain what I mean. The picture opposite is of a beach in  Cornwall. Don't bother trying to find the exact location on a map because it isn't marked. This is the place where a giant undersea cable 'lands' in the UK from  the US. In the cable, which is buried beneath the surface, is at least some data from the Web which you (yes, YOU) will have accessed. The amount of data running through this cable is beyond my comprehension. Trust me, it's a lot.

If someone really wanted to take the whole Web down you'd need to attack it on many, many fronts but what's interesting is that Web experts are starting to have these conversations at all. It's set up to be what's known as a 'help healing ring' (one bit gets hurt and another bit takes over) but nobody really knows how self healing it is yet.

So my question is this - how reliant on the Web are you and how would it affect you if Google wasn't there tomorrow morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment