Supporting

Thursday 4 August 2011

Do you use Internet Explorer? Then you're stupid! Apparently.

Don't get cross with me if you're an Internet Explorer user - I'm just reporting the facts.

A survey looking at the connection between your intelligence (via an IQ test) and the internet browser you use has revealed that people who use Internet Explorer are significantly less intelligent than those who use Chrome or Firefox. The research, published on the Aptiquant website, has been reported in the UK press (Daily Mail) and across many web-based news services.

There is only one small problem with the research - it's all made up. There was no study and Aptiquant, the company behind the study, doesn't exist. If ever a news story highlights the dangers of taking research at face value then this is it. The single person behind the hoax is called Tarandeep Gill and I would suggest you read his explanation of how he did it.

Don't be surprised if I use this story again in group training sessions in the future. It's a brilliant example of what happens when you don't examine the small print of a source. Being critical/sceptical is a skill not a shortcoming and I'd encourage you to challenge me on my sources and data every time I see you.

In fact how do you even know I'm telling you the truth right now...?

No comments:

Post a Comment