Supporting

Thursday 1 September 2011

The Class Ceiling.

Good morning. How's thing?

Have been on holiday in Dorset with the family fossil-hunting and trying to avoid hypothermia, hence the lack of postings. I know the point of holidays is to 'get away from it all' but a cottage with no mobile signal, electricity that you could charitably call wilful and a TV with three channels is pretty far removed from our usual situation. It was great!
Anyway, I digress.

I'd like to recommend a radio programme from earlier this morning (Monday the 1st) on Radio 4.
Polly Toynbee is a journalist who writes for The Guardian with an interest in social justice and politics who's presenting a 2 part series on how class is still a massive indicator of a person's social attainment. There's some more information on the BBC website and the first part of the series is already on BBC's i-player.

As the first person from his family to go to university and as someone who regularly wrestles with the notion of what class even means ( I have great problems with the idea that a university education and love of the arts automatically imposes a middle-class status on an individual), I really enjoyed the first episode. Me and my wife have been having the class 'debate' for 12 years now. Next time you see me in the university stop me and ask who wins the argument!

No comments:

Post a Comment