Supporting

Friday 25 November 2011

Email is dead. Apparently.

I haven't blogged about technology for a while, but email is something that affects all of us and the latest proclamation by the inventor of Facebook predicting that email is soon to be replaced I found intriguing.

My work email regularly reaches 90% capacity (resulting in warning messages telling me to delete something  or else!), my personal Gmail account which I've had for about 10 years has over 5000 unread messages, as well as a work Gmail which exists somewhere, unloved and undisturbed.

So the news that email as a form is dying doesn't quite have the ring of truth about it when I encounter my own weight in BREO messages on a daily basis. I've had conversations with students who unsurprisingly are struggling under the sheer number of messages they receive and developing strategies to manage electronic correspondence can certainly make studying less stressful.

The evidence that emailing is on the wane is due to a decline in the number of emails sent by young people, who prefer to communicate via social networking sites. This may be true but with 3.1 billion email accounts currently live (it's expected to be 4.1 billion by 2015) email is clearly not going to be superseded any time soon.

And the irony of writing a blog post about email overkill which probably arrived to you by email is not lost on me, I assure you. My messages, as difficult as it is to admit it, cannot be separated from the overall issue.

Right. I'm going to try and get on with making those training videos I've promised you... although I suppose I'd better answer these emails first...

No comments:

Post a Comment