Supporting

Tuesday 15 January 2013

The newly published report on Jimmy Savile

I must be honest with you. I've written two or three posts already about the unfolding Jimmy Savile story and  didn't post any of them. This was because the whole situation has made me so angry I couldn't even pretend to be dispassionate and subjective. I just find the misuse of power to exploit vulnerable people in society the most vile of crimes.

The reason I'm writing this post now is due to the publishing of the NSPCC/Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) report into Savile's crimes called 'Giving Victims a Voice'. A major finding of which is the damning claim that the victims who spoke out at the time were simply not believed. The report makes clear that Savile used his fame to 'coerce or control' his victims, but goes on to suggest that things have improved in the reporting of such incidents. That said, the report, which you can find in full by clicking here, clearly states that there is absolutely no room for complacency.

One more related point.
I've bought many books for the LRC in the last few years on Safeguarding and Child Protection.
However, with the 'E-books on Demand' project currently running, there's nothing to stop you having a look on Dawsonera and seeing what e-books you can add to what we already have.


No comments:

Post a Comment