Supporting

Monday 25 February 2013

Dyslexia and all that.

One of the things I've learned whilst doing this job is that 50 people who have dyslexia can be as different as 50 people who have a car. Or a cat. Or an Adele CD. Actually scrub the Adele bit, but you take my general point.

The symptoms are different from person to person and so is how someone may react to a diagnosis of dyslexia. The two extremes of which seem to be shame and elation. The reaction of elation is reminiscent of someone coming out as they embrace their dyslexia with both hands (I've seen it and it is terrifically entertaining!), but those aren't the people this post is really aimed at. I've met with a few students recently who seemed quite upset by their new found status as dyslexic (personally, I prefer to say that someone has dyslexia) so to those students and to anyone who has dyslexia I'd like to say this;

You are as smart and fabulous as you were the day before your diagnosis.

Now. If you think you may be dyslexic or are interested in seeing how the university supports people with this issue, have a look here.

No comments:

Post a Comment