Supporting

Sunday 1 May 2011

Online videos from authors.

A few weeks ago I was helping a student who was having difficulties finding resources for an assignment related to gang culture in the US.

Partly out of desperation I suggested we look on the website of the publisher which was the University of Minnesota Press and what we found there was a revelation. The author, John Hagedorn, had recorded a whole series of videos where he described what his book contained, the theory behind his approach and supplemental lectures on hip hop and violence. And you can reference all this stuff!

To look at the videos follow the link here.

I'm trying to find other authors of interest who are doing similar online presentations but there's nothing to stop you doing my job for me! Just remember that you'll need some books and journals too - I don't think your lecturers will be happy if you construct an assignment purely from video presentations.

If any of you have referenced videos before let me know if you received any comments from lecturers. I'd like to know.

And for no other reason than the fact that John Hagedorn writes about hip hop, below is one of my favourite rap videos by the ever wonderful Public Enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment