Supporting

Friday 20 May 2011

The sound of silence?

Last week I attended two course committees. At both those committees the number one student complaint was that the silent study areas were seriously lacking the central feature which is supposed to characterise them - silence.

Every committee meeting I've ever attended has at some point included a student rep passing on concerns about the library being too noisy. We know. This is why we have silent areas. If you ask 10 different people how they define 'quiet' you'll get 10 different answers. But silence means silence. An absence of noise. Simple.

And if we (by we I mean the librarians) hear you talking in the silent study areas we'll address it. Politely. If you're a repeat offender then you may notice a rapid drop-off on the whole politeness thing.

But we need your help too. If you're being disturbed by students who are talking in the silent study area and the hard stare you're throwing them isn't working, then you're well within your rights to get assistance. You can ask a security guard to pay your area a visit or tell a reader services person and they will pass on your concern to the right person.
And if you can think of another way to deal with it (which doesn't involve a croquet mallet and a good long run up) then leave a comment here or email me directly.

It's a serious issue and I know how important study time is, especially to those of you who live in houses full of noise and joyful chaos. If you have any ideas on this issue do let us know and I'll pass them on.

And if you're an ASS student sitting in the silent study area and you see me, feel free to smile and wave-but don't say hello or I'll be forced to shush you and believe me when I say that's an experience you don't want!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment